Are you in need of dental treatment, but anxiety is holding you back? You’re not alone. Many people fear going to the dentist and put off seeking appropriate dental treatment as a result.
Avoiding the dentist’s chair, however, is not a solution on the long term. Most likely, the problem you are now having with your teeth will only get worse, more painful, and more difficult to treat if you don’t get treatment on time.
If it’s been a while since you’ve been to the dentist and you’re dealing with dental problems, here why you shouldn’t postpone making an appointment at a dental clinic:
- Getting treatment as soon as problems arise can help avoid more invasive treatments in the future;
- You won’t have to deal with pain and discomfort anymore;
- Undergoing less invasive treatments like dental fillings, veneers, dental cleaning are cheaper than later needing extensive dental repairs like extractions, surgeries, dental implants, or dental bridges;
- Unhealthy or bad teeth can cause other problems like bad breath, self-confidence issues, and even more serious problems like heart disease;
- Your dental team can help you become comfortable during treatment and manage your anxiety.
It’s important to seek out medical care whenever you notice any pain or discomfort in your teeth. Getting on-time treatment can prevent more serious problems or more extensive treatments in the future.
How to Deal with Dental Anxiety
Fear of pain is probably one of the most common reasons why people fear going to the dentist. However, there are ways to cope with dental anxiety:
- Choose a dental clinic or dentist you are comfortable with;
- Talk with your dentist about your anxiety;
- Ask your dentist to explain every step of the procedure;
- Agree on a hand signal for when you become too anxious, experience pain or you want the dentist to stop for a moment for you to catch your breath or rinse your mouth;
- Ask for local anesthetics (your dentist will numb the area anyway if it’s a procedure that requires it);
- Focus on your breathing;
- Ask your dentist if you can handle the suction instrument;
- Bring your headphones and listen to some soothing music during your treatment.
Coping with Anxiety While Getting Treatment Abroad
Many Irish patients decide to get dental treatment abroad due to lower costs and high-quality treatments. Irish people often take advantage of low-cost airlines to go to Budapest for dental implants, full mouth reconstruction surgery, bridges, removable dentures and other procedures.
Patients from Ireland regularly save up to 60-70% on local dental costs by opting for the services of a dental clinic in Budapest, which is one of the top destinations for dental tourism in Europe.
If you’re going abroad for your dental treatment, make sure that the dental surgeon who will be treating you speaks English and knows about your anxiety.
Open communication with your dentist and shedding light on the things that cause your anxiety can help you better manage your stress levels and – with time – help you become more at ease with seeking out dental treatment.